WL Middle School Student to Complete the Mini

This content has been archived. It may no longer be relevant

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (May 6, 2016) – The Washington Township Schools family is so proud of this Westlane Middle School student, who is working with teachers to make a difference, and who will be participating in the 2016 Mini Marathon.

Davion and his Team!
Davion and his Team!

Hello my name is Davion, and I am an 8th grader at Westlane Middle School. When I was three, I was diagnosed with a disease called muscular dystrophy. Unfortunately, this means that my muscles do not work as well as most people’s.

When I was seven, I had to start using a wheel chair because my leg muscles were no longer strong enough for me to stand or walk on my own. While I would rather be able to walk, I have learned that strength doesn’t come from muscles, but from your ability to keep going when things get tough.

Not being able to do things that other kids my age can do is hard, but I haven’t given up.  This is my strength.  I believe that with enough support a cure can be found for my disease.  To prove this I am going to combine my strength and some borrowed muscles to help get closer to a cure for muscular dystrophy.

Tomorrow, along with three awesome teachers (Mr. Gee, Mr. Fiesbeck, and Mr. Doss) I will be taking part in the One America Mini Marathon in Indianapolis. We will be running/rolling 13.1 miles to raise awareness and money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. 

Please support our team as we use our strength and run/roll towards a great cause; a world without muscular dystrophy.   Thank you in advance. See you at the finish line! http://www2.mda.org/site/TR/EnduranceEvent/NationalEnduranceCenter?team_id=73833&pg=team&fr_id=21339

– Davion