Washington Township to Host Educational Event on e-Cigarettes, Vaping, and Tobacco Use
On May 15 at 6:30 pm in the Northview Middle School auditorium, the District will host an evening to educate parents about the dangers of e-cigarettes, vaping, and tobacco use. We will discuss things to look for as parents and questions to ask.
The Indiana State Department of Health will have a presentation and share statistics and research on why young students are beginning to use, their perceptions of vaping and tobacco, and how manufacturers are targeting students through marketing. The evening will also include a panel discussion of students and MSDWT Administrators. This event is targeted toward students and parents of students currently in grades 5-12.
Some Facts to Consider:
- E-cigarettes are the most commonly used tobacco product among youth in Indiana and nationwide.
- Nationally, 1.5 million more students used e-cigarettes in 2018 than in 2017.
- In 2018, over 3.6 million youth used e-cigarettes nationwide, making them the most commonly used tobacco product.
- There was a 78% increase in e-cigarette use prevalence among high school students from 2017 (11.7%) to 2018 (20.8%)
- There was a 48% increase in e-cigarette use prevalence among middle school students from 2017 (3.3%) to 2018 (4.9%)
We hope to see you there.