AHERA ANNUAL NOTICE
This information is being published to comply with the requirements of 40 CFR 763 Subpart E asbestos containing materials in schools. This regulation, commonly known as the “AHERA” rule, requires local education agencies, such as this one, to perform certain tasks in regards to the presence and control of asbestos containing materials in the buildings under the jurisdiction of the local education agency.
These include but are not limited to:
- Developing an asbestos management plan which is designed to outline procedures and guidelines for the inspection, re-inspection and periodic surveillance of asbestos containing materials that are present in the buildings.
- Provide awareness training and additional training to selected school employees.
- Periodically notify all workers and occupants, or their local guardians, parent teacher organizations, and collective bargaining organizations of the availability of asbestos management plans, the location of same and the times that the plans may be reviewed.
This notification is to advise all patrons, occupants, or their legal guardians, collective bargaining organizations, and parent-teachers organizations, that the asbestos management plans required under this act are available for review upon request. A copy of the plans for all buildings under the jurisdiction of this local education agency are available in the H. Dean Evans Community & Education Center, which is located at 8550 Woodfield Crossing Boulevard, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240; telephone
number (317) 845-9400. Plans for individual schools and other buildings are located in the administration office of each building. The plans can be viewed by any person during normal business hours of the particular school. Interested parties wishing to inquire about the hours and times that the plans are available should call the above number.
At this time, the management plans can provide information regarding inspections, response actions, and post-response action activities, including periodic re-inspection and surveillance activities that are planned or in progress. Inquiries regarding any facet of the regulation or the management plans should be directed to the Director of Operations at the above telephone number during regular business hours.
No asbestos work has been completed in our schools this year. Following is a list of buildings that were inspected for the presence of asbestos-congaing materials during the course of the October 2017 periodic surveillance. Detailed reports are available in the Operations Division Office located in the District administration office.
- North Central High School
- Eastwood Middle School
- Northview Middle School
- Westlane Middle School
- Allisonville Elementary School
- Crooked Creek Elementary
- Greenbriar Elementary School
- John Strange Elementary School
- Nora Elementary School
- Spring Mill Elementary School
- Hilltop School; and
- Everett Light Career Center
The required six-month periodic surveillance was performed in October 2017.
The next scheduled activities are the required six-month periodic surveillance in March 2018.
Fox Hill Elementary School, Transportation Building and the Community & Education Center*
These buildings are asbestos free. No surveillances or re-inspections are required under AHERA.