February 22, 2019

  • MS Outlook
  • Canvas
  • Skyward
Attending School in the MSDWT







To attend a school in the MSDWT, students must have residency or legal settlement within the District as defined by IC 20-26-11, or be approved through the MSDWT nonresident process. Students found to be attending school within the District without legal settlement will be candidates for expulsion.

Indiana statute requires all children to attend school each day school is in session. Students who have excessive absences [eight (8) unexcused absences] or truancy from school or are chronically tardy may be subject to disciplinary measures by the school. Parents/guardians are legally responsible for ensuring good student attendance. Contact your student’s school for specific attendance guidelines.


Nonresident Status          

Students who live outside of the MSDWT boundaries are eligible to apply for nonresident status by completing a Nonresident Status Application (Policy 5111). Enrollment may be granted for a period of one school year (July 1 to June 30). In order for currently-enrolled nonresident students to continue attending the MSDWT, an Intent to Continue Form must be submitted annually by the published deadline.

More information can be found on the MSDWT website at msdwt.k12.in.us/registration/ or by contacting the office of either Elementary or Secondary Education at the H. Dean Evans Community and Education Center.

CITATION: IC 20-33-2, Policies:  5111, 5112, 5112.01, 5114, 5130, 5200 & 5223.


Enrollment Requirements

To officially enroll a student in the MSDWT, the following information and materials must be provided by the parents/guardians at the school in which the student is being enrolled. Proof of residency will be required upon entry into a MSDWT school. Additionally, the District may require updated proof of residency at any time.

The legal settlement of the student is in the attendance area of the school corporation where the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) reside (IC 20-26-11-2).

The residence of a child is determined by the residence of his/her parent(s) or legal guardian(s). This place of residence must be within the boundaries of the Washington Township School District in order for the child to attend a Washington Township school.

These residency procedures do not apply to homeless families and their children, in accordance with the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. No homeless child will be denied enrollment based on a lack of proof of residency.

Students who enroll in kindergarten must be five years of age on or before August 1.  Students who enroll in first grade must be six years of age on or before August 1.


Proof of Residency Documents

A document from each section will be required to complete enrollment. Please see below for details.

Section A: 

  • Current Mortgage Payment Book/Statement
  • Homeowner’s Insurance Statement
  • Current Property Tax Statement
  • Warranty Deed
  • Lease Agreement/Contract

Section B:

  • Current Utility Bill
  • Current Paycheck Stub with Name and Address
  • Government Document
  • Current Bank Statement
  • Current Bill
  • Valid Indiana Driver’s license or State ID card with Current Address

Shared residency families may be required to provide additional documentation.


Items Required for Enrollment:

  1. Child’s Birth Certificate: The student’s original birth certificate or a state department’s other verification of birth if the student is new to the District.
  2. Child’s Immunization Records: A medical/physician/practitioner statement or public Department of Health statement only. This must be provided at the time of enrollment but no later than the first date of attendance. If documentation is not provided within 20 days of the first date of attendance, student withdrawal proceedings may begin.
  3. Two Proofs of Residency: One document from Section A and one document from Section B are required.
  4. Most Recent Report Card.
  5. Standardized Test Results.


Additional Documentation

The parents/guardians should also provide the following information when enrolling students in the MSDWT, if applicable:

  • The student’s transcript, report card, withdrawal papers, and when applicable, ISTEP+ scores, including whether the student has passed the End of Course Assessments from the previous school that verifies the student’s grade placement (relevant only if the student attended a school in another district). In addition, the parents/guardians of students who were enrolled in special education programs should provide a copy of the student’s most recent Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and evaluation records.
  • Written parental/guardian permission to request transfer of the student’s records from the school previously attended.
  • An additional Enrollment Conference may be required for students with an IEP.


Shared Residency:

If you are temporarily residing with a Washington Township resident, a Residency Verification Affidavit Form must be completed by all parties. This form is available through the school’s Student Programs Advisor. The resident must provide one document from Section A and one document from Section B. Additionally, the parents/guardians will need to provide two pieces of mail from Section B and if you are a TEMPORARY RESIDENT, the required documentation under section C, with the current Washington Township address.

Custodial Requirement for Enrollment:

A noncustodial parent or legal guardian who is attempting to enroll a student must schedule an appointment with the school Licensed Social Worker (LSW) and school administration for assistance to complete enrollment.



A guardian or custodian who is enrolling a student must provide a copy of the court approved document substantiating guardianship or custody of the student.


Enrolling Foreign Students:  

Federal and State law affords school-aged children the right to a free public education. This applies regardless of whether the children’s parents have documented alien status or nondocumented alien status. This right has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. Parents/guardians may volunteer citizenship verification (passport, green card, etc.) but documentation is not required for enrollment to be completed. (Policies: 5111 and 5114)



Translate »