No student shall be required, without prior written consent of the student’s parents or guardians, or prior consent of a student, if the student is an adult or is emancipated, to participate in a personal analysis, evaluation, or survey not directly related to academic instruction and that reveals or attempts to affect the student’s attitudes, habits, traits, opinions, beliefs, or feelings concerning:
- Political affiliations;
- Religious beliefs or practices;
- Mental or psychological conditions that may embarrass the student or his/her family;
- Sexual behavior and attitudes;
- Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
- Critical appraisals of other individuals with whom the student has a close family relationship;
- Legally recognized privileged or confidential relationships, including a relationship with a lawyer, physician, or minister; or
- Income (except as required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program or for receiving financial assistance under a program).
Parents and students will be given notice of their rights under this section. Any consent form used in compliance with this policy must accurately reflect the contents and nature of the personal analysis, evaluation, or survey.
Citation: Policy 2416